[Samba] Re: Roaming profile - Folder redirection - Erase file on server

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:09:10 GMT 2007

> I'm in a testing environement with a Samba server setup as a PDC with some
> share (netlogon, profiles) to support roaming profile. My "smb.conf" file
> contain the good configuration parameters for "logon path" and "logon home"
> etc ..
>
> For my roaming profile, I setup a Folder redirection using the
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders" registery key. I modify the value of AppData, Cookies,
> Desktop, Favorites, My Pictures, Personal. Every folder are redirect to the
> network share with %LOGONSERVER% and %USERNAME% variable. There is no
> problem with the redirection, when I connect every thing are correctly
> redirect.

why did you do that?
If you don't redefine default locations of user's shell folders they
will normally
be part of your profile and would be stored on the server
if roaming profiles are not disabled.

It is generally not a very good idea to manipulate registries.
But if you have a compelling reason to relocate user's shell folders to a
network drive, then use your home directory for that instead of profile.

> For example, if I create a file named "textfile.txt" on my desktop, I see it
> on the shared folder. (I do a "ls" command with ssh directly on the server
> to be sure). I can add, remove, edit file on the desktop and every thing are
> OK.
>
> The problem come when I logout The window client do some sort of
> synchronization of a local folder with the shared folder. For example,
> C:\Documents and Seetings\admin\Desktop\ with
> \\MyServer\profiles\admin\Desktop. I fact, it's not a synchronization, it's
> just delete the shared folder and replace it by the content of the local
> folder. The result is that every modification done on the desktop (that are
> redirected) are lost at the logout.

I believe that's how it's supposed to work.
Purge the old profile and store the current one in its place.

If you don't want it to be overwritten relocate it somewhere else.