[Samba] no log on screen when logging into samba shares over vpn

)\( at sS athanasios.silis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 10:38:06 GMT 2007

hello everyone,
i have setup my samba shares properly and nicely in my local network, with a
security level of 'user' so that each user can have their home dirs when
logging into the shares.
now im trying to setup the vpn.. so i added in the smb.conf

hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.144. 127. (the localnet, vpn  and localhost
respectively)

and

interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.144.0/24 (i figured i had to add the 2
subnets here too... right?)

so now if i try to log on remotely over vpn to the samba shares server (the
samba shares (file) server and vpn server are the same machine) i just go to
konqueror
and type in the address field:

smb://<vpn server ip address>/

and i get a list of all the public samba-shared folders... but no logon
screen.. so that id get access to corresponding home dirs too...
any ideas why?

thank you in advance for your help
nass