[Samba] Refused oplock on NFS mounted file system

Jim McInerny jim at tonto.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 3 04:10:02 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have been a loyal user of SAMBA since about 1996(?), and I recently
upgraded a RH linux based system from by skipping a few generations
and going directly from rh9 to FC5.  Mostly everything is working,
but there is an issue I haven't worked out yet with SAMBA.

The main server here in our group has several shares, including some
that are mounted from other servers via nfs, which meant an upgrade
from samba 2.2.12 to 3.0.23c-1.fc5.

The older server had no problem re-exporting the NFS mounted shares
as SMB shares, but it won't work on the new server.

Users are able to mount the share from winxp/win2k clients, but
cannot create or edit any new files.  Non-nfs mounted shares work
fine, and the nfs mounts can be readily accessed R/W from the unix
server itself.

The symptoms are multiple.  In some instances, clients get a disk
full message, while in others they get  a windows dialog box with the
title bar showing "Error coping File or Folder" and the message "
Cannot copy accounts: The process cannot access the file because
another process has locked a portion of the file".

If I set the debug level to 1 (for now), I get the following messages:

[2007/01/02 18:39:10, 3] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_set_kernel_oplock(162)
   linux_set_kernel_oplock: Refused oplock on file this.file, fd =
26, dev = 15, inode12620340. (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[2007/01/02 18:39:10, 10] locking/brlock.c:brl_locktest(1066)
   brl_locktest: posix start=0 len=12785 locked for fnum 10883 file this.file
[2007/01/02 18:39:10, 10] locking/locking.c:is_locked(134)
   is_locked: flavour = WINDOWS_LOCK brl start=0 len=12785 locked for
fnum 10883 file this.file
[2007/01/02 18:39:10, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(146)
   error packet at smbd/reply.c(3098) cmd=47 (SMBwriteX)
NT_STATUS_FILE_LOCK_CONFLICT

Now what's interesting is that I can create a new file on the share
from windows explorers, with the usual right click, new (folder, text
file, etc), and I can delete files, but I cannot edit any or "drag"
any files into the share.

FWIW this is with nfs v3 client and server, and this is probably
off-topic, but a nfsstat on the original NFS server machine, gives
the following:
# nfsstat
Server rpc stats:
calls      badcalls   badauth    badclnt    xdrcall
491445     9          3          6          0

I'll have to explore this, but as far as I can tell this really seems
to be a NFS-SMB interoperability issue.  Does anyone have any idea
how to resolve this?

Cheers,

Jim