[Samba] Advertising Samba shares on the local network via mDNS

Rishi Srivatsavai rishisv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:30:32 GMT 2007

Hello All,

I would like to add support for advertising Samba shares (browseable ones)
on the local network using Multicast DNS. Multicast DNS allows applications
to query/publish network services on the local link. I would appreciate if
you
could all please share your thoughts on whether such support would be
welcome in Samba. If you know of existing efforts in Samba to include
such support please let me know as well.

With this support in Samba "mDNS" aware tools & clients on Mac OS X
(Bonjour),
Linux(Avahi), Solaris & Windows can easily discover Samba shares on the
local link.
Once discovered users could go about configuring access to those shares.

Thanks,
Rishi