[Samba] Login and logout scripts

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Tue Jan 30 17:51:03 GMT 2007

I was trying to this same thing yesterday. No PDC (it's setup as one, but
the machines are not joined to the domain), the machines (XP only) are in a
simple workgroup. Local group policy to run the logon/logoff script. Not all
of the usernames exist on the Samba server. Only one department (accounting)
so far, but I have 5 defined, and they are members of the appropriate
groups, etc. All the usernames/passwords on the client match the
usernames/passwords on the Samba Server, so it's transparent if the user
exists. What I can't figure out is how to bypass the prompting for a
username/password for the ones that don't exist.
I looked at the ifmember stuff, but I'm doing local logons, so no joy there.
Can I query the Samba server for group membership in my logon script
somehow?

I attempted to add the drive mapping like this:
net use g: \\server\%username%
Except the usernames that don't exist get prompted to enter a username and
password.
I tried passing an "enter key" by using an enter.dat, but it doesn't get to
that line in the script because it's waiting for a response.

I'm currently bypassing this part by putting a check file on the machines in
accounting. I figure someday I will get them to join the domain, and I'll
work it out then, but if someone knows how to make it work otherwise, please
let me know....

Here's what I've done:
IF NOT EXIST "%systemdrive%\checks\acctng.chk" GOTO EOF
net use g: \\server\%username%
net use h: \\server\accounting

:EOF

Thanks,
Dennis

Oh, Samba version 3.010149 on Centos 4.4