[Samba] Vista, NTLMV2, security = domain

Schaefer Jr, Thomas R. tom at umsl.edu
Tue Jan 30 00:21:05 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I've been testing out Windows Vista Enterprise today.  It defaults to only using NTLMV2 authentication.

I'm testing with Samba 3.0.23d running on Sparc/Solaris 8.  Samba is configured with

security = domain

The password server is a Windows Server 2003 domain controller.  I've joined Samba to the domain.

I simply can't get Vista to connect unless I change its security policy to "send NTLM/NTLMV1 use NTLMV2 if negotiated".  Then it connects just fine.

But Vista should work with its default of only NTLMV2, right??  There's not some known bug, or some inherent limitation that prevents NTLMV2 authentication when your Samba server is configured as security = domain, correct??

Thanks in advance,
Tom Schaefer