[Samba] Fw: Question regarding samba with DFS support

Jaime Cifuentes cifuente at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 29 22:43:48 GMT 2007

Hello all,

      We have a Samba environment to provide DFS access to Windows users.
Most of the users can work with their files in DFS with no problems.
However, at least one of them can not delete his own files in a shared
directory. The following is the setup we have:

OS    :     AIX 5.3.04
Samba :     3.0.23c-1
Clients     :     Windows XP Professional
Filesystem: DFS 3.1 at ptfset10 (DCE 3.2 at ptfset11)

The Problem:      the client writes files to a shared directory, which is 5
directories deep from his DFS home directory. He owns the directories up to
the third directory deep, where he sets symbolic links to access the shared
directories. He writes files to the 5th subdirectory. Inspection of the
files here shows him as the owner but with read/write access only, even
though the DCE ACLs are set with owner's full permissions, this is rwxcid.

      He can not delete these files from the samba session, but he has no
problems deleting them from an AIX session. The path followed is the same
on both, samba and AIX sessions.

      I added the "acl check permissions = false" just to check, and he is
able to delete files, but this could be dangerous because people will be
able to delete files on directories they don't own.  I tried deleting files
not owned by his id, and I was able to.  Somehow, this tells me the problem
could be a configuration problem.

      Have anyone encountered this problem, and how was it fixed?  Any
ideas would be appreciated.

      Thank you all very much

                                         Jaime A Cifuentes