[Samba] make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

Tom Robinson trobinson at intelligentspace.com
Sat Jan 27 19:53:15 GMT 2007

Hi,

We have a linux/samba only domain serving files to about 16-18 Windows
clients (mostly XP, a few W2K).

PDC:
SuSE OpenXchange 4.4
samba 2.2.8a
openldap 2.1.4

Domain Member Server (DMS)
CentOS 4.4
samba 3.0.10

I set the Domain Member Server up using the default passdb backend
(/etc/samba/smbpasswd) to start with and that all worked fine.

I would like to use LDAP for centralised authentication and have
re-compiled using --with-ldapsam because the PDC uses the older (Version
2) of the Samba LDAP schema. (see smb.conf below for params).

I've joined the DOMAIN with:
# net rpc join
Join to 'DOMAIN' is OK

I've set the ldap_bind_password in secrets.tdb with:
# smbpasswd -w <secret>
Setting stored password for "uid=root,dc=somedomain,dc=com" in secrets.tdb

# smbclient -L DMS -N

gives the following error in the host log:
---8<---
auth/auth_domain.c:domain_client_validate(199)
   domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user root in
domain DOMAIN to Domain controller \\PDC. Error was
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
---8<---

and when I try to connect to a share I get this:
# smbclient //DMS/share -U validuser
---8<---
auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1177)
   make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!
---8<---

Connections directly to the PDC from the DMS work fine:
# smbclient //PDC/someshare -U validuser
Password:
Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a-UL]
smb: \> quit

Can anyone please help with these errors? I can't seem to crack it open
myself

Thanks in advance,

Tom

---8<---
[global]
         server string = %h :-D
         netbios name = dms
         workgroup = DOMAIN

         security = domain
         password server = PDC
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         null passwords = yes

         guest ok = no

         wins support = no
         wins proxy = no
         wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

         domain master = no
         local master = no
         preferred master = no
         os level = 0

         log level = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0

         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         smb ports = 139

         passdb backend = ldapsam_compat:ldap://pdc.somedomain.com
         ldap suffix = dc=somedomain,dc=com
         ldap port = 389
         ldap server = pdc.somedomain.com
         ldap admin dn = uid=root,dc=somedomain,dc=com
         ldap filter = (&(uid=%u)(objectclass=sambaAccount))
         ldap ssl = no
---8<---