[Samba] Office 2007 saves files as read only on samba shares?

Robin Edgar - Tripany red at tripany.com
Fri Jan 26 15:53:40 GMT 2007

I've been running the same configuration for a couple of years now,
and since I've upgraded to Office 2007, MS Word and MS Excel files
save to my samba shares as -r-------- even when they are opened as
being chmod 777. Files I create/edit using other editors or windows
explorer are put onto the share with the correct permissions.

My conf looks like this:
[global]
        workgroup = WG
        server string = WG machine
        netbios name = WG
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server =
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        encrypt passwords = true
        guest account = nobody
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        server signing = auto
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser --ingroup machine --system --home /dev/null --no-create-home --force-badname %u
        logon path =
        logon home =
        logon script = %Gnetlogon.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.
        profile acls = Yes
        dos filetimes = Yes

[here]
        comment = here
        path = /export/home/here
        valid users = user1, user2
        valid users = @group
        force group = group
        read list = @group
        write list = @group
        read only = No
        force create mode = 0770
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        guest ok = No
        browseable = No

In this I've never had 'force create mode' before, but adding it
hasn't helped.

[dump]
        comment = dump
        path = /export/home/dump
        valid users = @group1, @group2
        force group = group1
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770

Both shares will create new Office documents as being read only for
the user as well as saving over documents that were chmod 777 as 400,
but ONLY using MS Office 2007!

In the file logs for the connecting machine I get:
[2007/01/26 16:36:55, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(245)
  user opened file here/filename.xls read=Yes write=No (numopen=2)

where write /should/ be 'Yes'. Upping loglevel to 3 gives me a huge
amount of data.

I'm using samba 3.0.14a-3sarge2 (debian)

Any ideas?!

Best regards,
 Robin Edgar
 Tripany