[Samba] replacing a samba pdc server.

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Jan 25 13:39:41 GMT 2007

On 01/23/2007 09:32 AM, Collen Blijenberg escreveu:
> Hello and good day,
>
> we're in the middle of migrating an old samba (3.0.11) pdc
> server, to a new server (3.0.23d)
>
> i thought i could do a NET VAMPIRE to make the new server
> sync with the old one.
> but ofcoz' that doesn't work (NT error code 0x1c010002)
>
> is there an other way to make these servers sync ?

	Manually copy the files. ;)

> ea. can I do pdbedit -e tdbsam:/dump.tdb on the old server,
> and pdbedit -i tdbsam:/dump.tdb on the new server ???

	Yes, but instead of tdbsam I would recommend smbpasswd
just for the migration, which means, export to smbpasswd on
your old server and import it to tdbsam on your new server.

> (just for the machine,users and groups ??)

	What else you have in mind? :-)

> we really would like to start fresh, coz' there are some
> inconsistencies in the old data bases of users and posix-users.
> the old one is based on the mysql backend, and the new server will also
> be mysql. (no worries here, it's tested and works all ok)
>
> I read the migrating and updating chapter's of the howto, but there
> isn't a real good procedure described.
> (you should think the vampire command would be capable of doing this
> procedure..?!)

	Hmmm, you can use that, but:

   RPC VAMPIRE
       Export users, aliases and groups from remote server  to  local  server.
       Can only be run an a BDC.

	Only if you are a BDC. :)

> Cheers,
> Collen