[Samba] access users homes share

Toby Bluhm tkbsmb at midwestinstruments.com
Tue Jan 23 17:44:54 GMT 2007

You want the users' share to initially be private? Users can selectively
have another user or users access to their private share?

If that's what you're looking for and samba is the PDC, I would:

[homes]
   comment = user share
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
   create mask = 0660
   directory mask = 2770
   oplocks = true

Give all users their own private default group and change permissions.

Example: user joe, default group is joe.
Configure joe's directories:

chown  -R joe.joe /home/joe
find /home/joe -type d -exec chmod 2770 {}\;
find /home/joe -type f -exec chmod 660 {}\;

If user joe wants to let user jim access his stuff, add jim to joe group.

When joe is tired of jim stomping on his stuff:

remove jim from joe's group
find /home/joe -user jim -exec chown joe {} \;

--

-Toby