[Samba] slow streaming but fast copy

Tom Van den Eynde tom at vandeneynde.net
Mon Jan 22 19:36:20 GMT 2007

Hi List,

I wanted to update you on progress made.
I downgraded my samba package from the latest samba.org debian stable
package to the stock debian package which came with the latest sarge (samba
3.0.14a-Debian).
I re-enabled oplocks for my configuration.
After this I noticed the following:
- Playing MP3's from the network share(s) improved but is not yet optimal
- Playing Video's from the network share(s) still is an issue
- copying a large file (700 MB ISO) from the share(s) sometimes takes a long
time:
	- It only takes a long time if an oplock  EXCLUSIVE+BATCH is granted
	- when the oplock breaks (and returns to Level II or none), copying
goes lightning fast!
- I have increased the debugging level but don't see any differences in
logging between a correct (fast) copy a slow copy

Could this have something to do with my CPU/kernel configuration (see
original below)?

Or maybe someone knows extra debugging, steps, I might take to tackle this
issue?

I am getting desperate in this matter ;-)

Kind regards,

Tom