[Samba] Slow samba transfer

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:47:46 GMT 2007

What environment are you doing this in? In other words, is this over a
wireless connection to a remote site? Perhaps something else?

As a general rule of thumb, SMB is a MUCH less efficient protocol than
others such as FTP. In a near perfect world (i.e. a controlled real
world setting), I've found SMB to be between 35% and 45% as fast as FTP.
This was independent of operating system.

If you are doing SMB over a wireless link, it can be even worse if you
have a problematic wireless connection that requires lots of
retransmits. I'm betting you are doing this over wireless and you've got
some serious interference or other issues going on. Am I even close?