[Samba] Unable to Access Samba Server from 64 bit Windows

Daryl Ashley ashley at iat.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 19 21:39:07 GMT 2007

Hello,

We currently have Samba running on a Solaris server, several Linux
servers, and a Mac OSX server.   The version of Samba  running on the
Solaris server is  2.2.8a, and the version of Samba on all the rest of
the servers is 3.x.

All of our Windows computers, including those running 64 bit versions of
Windows and Windows 2003 Server can access the Samba 2.2.8a server
without any problems.

All 32-bit Windows XP systems are able to access the 3.x Samba servers
without any problems.  However, a 64-bit Windows workstation, and
several workstations running Windows 2003 server cannot access any of
the 3.x Samba servers.
I've googled and compared the configuration files on all the machines
without any luck.

We are going to the Start menu, click on "Run...", and then enter
\\fileserver, and get the following error message:

\\fileserver is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use
this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions.  The request is not supported.

Does anybody know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Daryl