[Samba] Roaming profile problem BDC

Florian Zierer ziererf at in.tum.de
Fri Jan 19 14:42:20 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have a problem with my PDC - BDC LDAP setup with roaming profiles.
Both are in the same network.

Both servers get the user homes and profiles from a NAS so they are
always up to date.

I configured to get the profiles and the homes from the logon server like

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon home = \\%L\%U

The home directories work as expected. %L is translated to the logon
server, but there are problems with the profiles.

The Win XP machines remember the old profile path in a registry key
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\...

CentralProfile \\path\to\profile

The problem is if the responsible domain controller fails, the XP client
does not find its profile again.

Sometimes it works after a reboot of the machine but only logging out
and logging in again does not do its job.

I tried it also with a dfs share but in the registry the path to the
server is saved and not the dfs path :-(

Do you have a solution to make this scenario work? How can I force the
XP client to forget the profiles path and to get the actual correct
pathfrom the domain controller?

Thanks in advance
Florian