[Samba] Dual Computer Names

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Thu Jan 18 21:09:48 GMT 2007

Williard, Jason wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to setup a Samba server to respond to
> 2 different names on the same or different IP addresses?  I currently
> have two servers with two different names.  I would like to decommission
> the first server while still allowing users to access the second server
> with the same name they were using to access the first server.

Assuming you are dealing with fully Active-Directory integrated servers,
then the most effective solution would be to assign two IP addresses to
the same box, and run two separate instances of Samba - each with a
different config.

i.e.

one instance of winbind (I'm assuming both servers are part of the same
AD realm)
smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb-1.conf
nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb-1.conf
smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb-2.conf
nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb-2.conf

smb-1.conf and smb-2.conf define the different hostnames, shares and
sets "bind interfaces only = Yes" and uses the
"interfaces = eth:?" option to tell each instance what IP
address/interface it needs to exclusively bind to.

I just went through the same exercise - and the above works well for us.
Kerberos really wants to stop you assigning multiple names to the same
token (at least I had huge trouble getting it to work correctly), so
mapping everything to separate IPs is the cleanest IMHO.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417