[Samba] migrating to a new server with LDAP

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Thu Jan 18 16:52:08 GMT 2007

Hello folks.

I need to migrate from an old server still running Debian Woody to a new
server running Dapper Drake.

The big challenge is turning out to be who to plan out the Samba LDAP
migration.

The current server version is 3.0.20 compiled form source and the Dapper
package is 3.0.22 and appears to include ldap support. So I don't think
I need to compile or worry about version compatibility troubles.

But how to migrate to a new machine and run the PDC just like on the old
one with LDAP is pretty confusing.

Should I start the new server as a BDC and then take the old one down?

Is there anyway to go about it where I won't have to touch the LDAP
server to deal with the SID?

Could anyone give me some ideas on the best way to go about it or point
me in the direction of a good migration how to?

Thanks

 --
John Baker
Network Systems Administrator