[Samba] Auto Create user home directory

M Azer azermina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 04:06:00 GMT 2007

when i add obey pam restrictions = yes to smb.conf. users home dir is
created when the user login for the first time BUT i also noticed that the
machine name is also being created under the home directory -  i sent out
another email with this question but I didn't get any replies

[cat at itbox CAD]$ ls -l
total 20
drwx------ 3 ad01$             Domain Computers   4096 Jan 17 17:57 ad01_
drwx------ 3 administrator   Domain Users       4096 Jan 17 17:59
administrator
drwx------ 3 cat                  Domain Users       4096 Jan 17 18:07 cat
drwx------ 4 mina.azer       Domain Users       4096 Jan 17 17:57 mina.azer
drwx------ 3 vdc2$

as u can see the first and last item are machine accounts .. is that right??

smb.conf
[global]
        security = ADS
        workgroup = CAD
        realm = CAD.TESTDOMAIN
        netbios name = itbox
        preferred master = no
        password server = 192.168.1.6
        client use spnego = yes
        server signing = auto
        encrypt passwords = yes
        nt acl support = no
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        winbind separator = +
        idmap uid = 1000-20000
        idmap gid = 1000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind cache time = 0
        winbind nested groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 3
        max log size= 50
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.0. 127.
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No