[Samba] Indentifier muddle

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Wed Jan 17 16:21:27 GMT 2007

On 01/16/2007 08:48 PM, Darryl escreveu:
> Hi, all.

Hi Darryl,

> Samba 3.022 on Ubuntu Edgy:
> I have a situation where win XP clients logon to our
> one and only PDC. They access home dirs and save stuff
> there. They can also, for e.g add a shortcut to their
> desktop. Wierd thing is any edits to screen effects
> are dropped, for instance. They also can't set the
> proxy server address & port in IE. A check after they
> click OK shows the entry has been discarded. Other normal
> user settings are also dropped. Imap mail via Thunderbird
> works.

	Considering the below description, looks like
you have a messy situation with profiles, old and new
information due to migration issues.

> MS office programs wnat to install every time accessed
> after logging on. Seems like any profile change is not
> retained. I know you're thinking the profiles are read
> only, but they're writeable, owned by the correct user
> and accessible. No logs give any hint.

	Did you increase the log level to 10?

> Could it be because we had a hardware crash.
> After re-installing, I did a net setlocalsid and replaced
> the new sid with the old one. I carefully added /etc/passwd,
> shadow & group files to the new installation. (These  from
> the crashed system which ran SuSE 10.0)
> I put the secrets.tdb file where it used to be ion SuSE 10.0,
> but that's the wrong place for Ubuntu. in the wrong place
> without realizing it :(

	Ok, what was the Samba version on SuSE 10.0?

> Upshot was I had to rejoin clients to the network.

	That's a bad signal. I just upgrade a PDC running
Samba 3.0.14a (Debian Sarge) to Samba 3.0.23d (Debian Etch)
without needing to re-join any machines or change anything
in workstations. I'm using LDAP as a backend.

> Currently I'm experiencing the above issues - are these
> related to the then misplaced secrets.tdb file?

	Probably.

> Replacing the current secrets.tdb with the old does nothing.

	In fact, you should check the SIDs again. Probably,
right now, you are in delicated situation, I would say that,
if you don't have a big network, go for all and configure it
as if it is a new installation, which means, forget the past
and try to use new profiles (backup, clean the profiles, let
the windows do it again and restore only the important
information).

	If the network is way _too_ large, then I should say
try to stop everything and clean it, which means, on the next
weekend, go there and check everything from the begin, from
SIDs to profiles, including workstations and user accounts.

> We are a school in Cape Town. I'm no samba expert, but I
> really need to get this sorted.
> Any pointers would really be appreciated.

	Did you already read the Official Samba HOWTO and
Samba By Example? They could provide a lot of useful
information.

		http://samba.org/samba/docs/

> Thanks in advance,

	Kind regards,