[Samba] getsmbfilepwent problem - Samba concerned with negative UIDs

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Wed Jan 17 16:16:56 GMT 2007

All,

Since installing my shiny new Samba3 PDC (3.0.23d, ldapsam backend), I've had one recurring issue that's been driving me nuts. Once a minute, Samba on one of the client servers logs the following:

getsmbfilepwent: user name cmeyer2 has a negative uid.
getsmbfilepwent: user name jhundley has a negative uid.

Running pdbedit does the same thing:

boothost:/var/log# pdbedit -Lvu cmeyer2
getsmbfilepwent: user name cmeyer2 has a negative uid.
getsmbfilepwent: user name jhundley has a negative uid.

Running "id" from the client server returns the correct UID- and GID-numbers.

When we first implemented the new PDC, these two users did indeed have a negative UID-number in LDAP, but that's since been fixed. Their UID-numbers are correct, the SID calculations are correct. I've restarted Samba and NSCD. I'm at a loss for what else to try. Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Ryan