[Samba] read only share problem

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Jan 15 14:52:02 GMT 2007

On 01/13/2007 04:00 AM, Danilo Moretto escreveu:
> Felipe Augusto van de Wiel escribió:
>> On 01/11/2007 02:22 PM, danilomoretto at cantv.net escreveu:
>>> HI,
>>> I have setup a samba share called DATOS it look like this:
>>>
>>> [DATOS]
>>> path = /data/datos
>>> comment = QAQC y SHA
>>> locking = no
>>> admin users = zulloa2
>>> write list = @qaqc, zulloa2
>>> browseable = yes
>>> public = yes
>>> guest ok = yes
>>> force create mode = 775
>>> force directory mode = 775
>>> read only = yes
>>> force group = qaqc
>>>
>>     Your share is a little bit "messy". You have
>> "public" and "guest ok", they are synonyms, you only
>> need one of them.
>>
>>     Besides that, it seems to have the configuration
>> that you are imagining, a read only directory which a
>> few people are able to write.

>>> in linux debian samba Version 3.0.14a-Debian
>>>
>>> it work good, opening the documents read only for every one, and can
>>> write with the user zulloa2 or the users in
>>> sha group.
>>>
>>> The problem is, some time some files in this share appear in read
>>> only mode for the user zulloa2...
>>>
>>     In a hard guess I would say that you have problems
>> with your filesystem permissions.
>>
>>> all the files in the share are in 775
>>> this is the smbstatus when the file appear in readonly
>>> tipecasrv:~# smbstatus -u zulloa2
>>> Samba version 3.0.14a-Debian
>>> PID     Username      Group         Machine
>>> 14974   zulloa2       zulloa2       sha          (192.168.0.3)
>>>
>>> Service      pid     machine       Connected at
>>> DATOS        14974   sha           Thu Jan 11 07:01:38 2007
>>> PUBLICO      14974   sha           Thu Jan 11 07:01:38 2007
>>> IPC$         14974   sha           Thu Jan 11 12:12:01 2007
>>> GESTION      14974   sha           Thu Jan 11 07:01:38 2007
>>> CALIDADySHA   14974   sha           Thu Jan 11 07:01:38 2007
>>>
>>> Locked files:
>>> Pid    DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           Name
>>> 14974  DENY_WRITE 0x20089     RDONLY     NONE
>>> /data/datos/QAQC/CONTINUACION.ppt   Thu Jan 11 11:41:02 2007
>>> 14974  DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
>>> /data/datos/QAQC/ITOPMT.doc   Thu Jan 11 12:13:06 2007
>>> 14974  DENY_WRITE 0x20089     RDONLY     NONE
>>> /data/datos/QAQC/PGT.doc   Thu Jan 11 12:00:32 2007
>>> 14974  DENY_WRITE 0x20089     RDONLY     NONE
>>> /data/datos/QAQC/Copia de SISTEMA QAQC.pps   Thu Jan 11 11:40:57 2007
>>
>>     Can you send a full smbstatus, with logs of the
>> access from the user?
>>
>>> look that not all the files appears read only.... but is the same
>>> share an
>>> folder...????
>>>

>>     Investigate the filesystem permissions.
>>
>>     There are more users accessing this share?
>>
>>> what happend? how can i do ?
>>>
>>> when i do a /etc/init.d/samba restart so i can write them with
>>> zulloa2 user, but hours later the read only show
>>> again...

[...]

> mister as you can see

	Sorry, I can't see, I don't have access to your samba
server, I can only read the information you send, and it is
not the complete information.

> the file premission are set trhought samba:
> force create mode = 775
> force directory mode = 775
> force group = qaqc

	That's not the only way to set permissions, you could
have migrate files, restored them from backup or even create
a few directories without noticed that the "start" permissions
were wrong.

> Sooooo all the share, i mean chmod -R 775 /data/datos
> and, chown -R root:sha /data/datos/

> are set up with 755 permissions with sha group as write enabled

	That's strange, because you said the permission are
755. Besides that, I asked you other questions and I told
you it was a hard guess because there was not enough
information (like logs, testparm and full smbstatus). But if
you want to play the 'you don't read my entire mail', fine
by me, good luck.

> read all please
> thanks

	Kind regards,