[Samba] Testing subnets with samba[Scanned]

David Greenhall david.greenhall at praybourne.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 13:49:39 GMT 2007

OK before i start, this was something i was just testing while everyone was in training this afternoon. I have never had to deal with subnets before as we only have a few users, but decided to do a little bit of messing around to gain some experience.

Basically we have one server (mandriva 2006) running samba, it has two 4 port ethernet cards in it but only utilitising one port from each card. (10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.3)
Every machine on the network is using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
All machines are connected using one cisco switch.

What I tried was enabling one of the other ports on the server and giving it the following details:
IP address: 10.10.10.32
Netmask: 255.255.255.224
Broadcast: 10.10.10.63

After enabling the card, everything seemed ok (I could ping the machine from mine straight away) However when I changed my network settings (win98) to the same subnet, samba would not let me login.

The message was  "password expired or logon server refused connection"
I could not login at all until I reset my network settings back to the default subnet 255.255.25.0.

Would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this as I don't understand why I could not login.

Thanks
Dave.