[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Philippe Andries PA at CAPITALATWORK.BE
Mon Jan 15 13:22:35 GMT 2007

Dear all,

Since this morning my samba server is acting weird.
I have searched on the web for response on how to resolve this, but could
not find any solution, and only little relevant information.
I need your help.

My samba server version is 3.0.9-1.3E.10 running on RedHat ES 3
(2.4.21-47.0.1.ELsmp)
I wanted to add a share to my smb.conf.  Made a copy of it, added the share
and restarted smb.
Since then I can see the share but I cannot access them in both windows and
Linux. (Network name cannot be found or unable to display content)
I went back to the copy of smb (without the new share and which was working,
but no change, it does not work anymore.

Here are some test command and their results:

[root at madsamba etc]# smbstatus

Samba version 3.0.9-1.3E.10
PID     Username      Group         Machine
 2878   administrator  Domain Users  ntmad        (10.234.1.1)

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
IPC$          2878   ntmad         Mon Jan 15 14:22:24 2007

No locked files

[root at madsamba etc]# testparm
Processing section "[capital]"
Processing section "[finanzas]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = DOMCAWMAD
        server string = Madrid Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        show add printer wizard = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 10.234.1.1
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        use sendfile = Yes

[capital]
        comment = Capital shared files
        path = /home/capital
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777

[finanzas]
        comment = Old Finanzas shared files
        path = /home/finanzas
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777

[root at madsamba etc]# nmblookup madsamba
querying madsamba on 10.234.1.255
10.234.1.3 madsamba<00>

[root at madsamba etc]# smbclient -L MADSAMBA -U pandries
Password:
Domain=[DOMCAWMAD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.10]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        capital         Disk      Capital shared files
        finanzas        Disk      Old Finanzas shared files
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Madrid Samba Server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Madrid Samba Server)
Domain=[DOMCAWMAD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.10]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MADSAMBA             Madrid Samba Server
        NTMAD

        Workgroup            Master
        DOMCAWMAD            NTMAD

But this one failed

[root at madsamba etc]# smbclient //madsamba/capital -U pandries
Password:
Domain=[DOMCAWMAD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.10]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Winbind is working fine webinfo & getent give answers.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Philippe A