[Samba] Account is not authorized to log in from this station

mahesh pawar mahesh.pawar at bsil.com
Thu Jan 11 12:30:57 GMT 2007

Hello All,

When I try to connect to the samba installed linux machine from windows
I get the message "Account is not authorized to log in from this
station".
I have made three entries(user name and password) in the smbpasswd file.
But if I log in the windows machine using these user names and passwords
I get the message "Account is not authorized to log in from this
station". If I log in as administrator(nobody) without a password, I can
access the samba share. And if I try to connect to samba machine using
it's ip address I can access it, but nopt with netbios name.

This is my smb.conf file,

[global]
        workgroup = BSIL
        netbios name = MDT506
        security = share
        server string = samba testing........
[data]
        read only = No
        guest ok = yes
        path = /export
        force user = mahesh.pawar
        force group = users
        comment = for everyone...

with this configuration I am able to access the share on samba If a
windows machine is logged in as a administrator.
If I log in with a user account (which is also stored in smbpasswd) I am
unable to access the samba share.

also I am not sure about the behavior of the samba, because if I change
the authentication in the configuration file it doesn't take effect.
but I can access the samba from other unix machine with the user account
I created in the smbpasswd file.

Guide me through the configuration as I think I have missed out
something, which is not letting me access the folder from windows user
account.

Regards,
Mahesh Pawar