[Samba] Joining the Domain - How and Why

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Wed Jan 10 20:28:56 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:36 +0100, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> The password database in then in the win2k or on the linux server ?

The password database would be the Active Directory (so Windows) server.

> does this works also for imap, pop and miscellaneous applications using
> pam ??

Yep.  :)  That's the cool part.  I just setup a SMTP/POP3/IMAP (Postfix
+ Dovecot) e-mail server that authenticates via PAM (winbind), so all
Active Directory users have e-mail accounts using their AD username
(sAMAccount attribute I believe).

The only thing missing is that pam_mkhomedir doesn't work when users
check e-mail, so you have to manually pre-create home directories for
all of your users.  I whipped up a quick python script to do that for
me.

Except for my Python script everything goes through PAM so it doesn't
need any LDAP or Kerberos information or capabilities.

Michael Schurter