[Samba] Joining the Domain - How and Why

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Wed Jan 10 16:46:55 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 07:46 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> Can someone explain what's required to join a linux computer to the
> windows domain and what the benefits would be?

A major benefit I've found to joining Linux workstations to an Active
Directory (Windows 2000/2003) Domain is Kerberos support.  Not only does
this allow SSO between Linux and Windows computers, but SSO for many
Linux services such as SSH.

Very handy stuff.  (This can also be accomplished using a KDC Server on
any OS, its not an Active Directory specific feature.)

Michael Schurter