[Samba] samba needed to network across openvpn tunnel

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Tue Jan 9 23:08:08 GMT 2007

On 01/04/2007 09:10 PM, Bill Ries-Knight escreveu:
[...]
> Office subnet 192.168.1.x

	Is there a WINS server on that network under 192.168.1.3?

> School subnets 192.168.19.x  1
>                        92.168.10.x
>
> I can communicate over tcp/ip fine from the office to the school and
> vice versa.
>
> from 192.168.1.x I can get to the SBS server at \\192.168.19.3 but not
> by \\cserver
> from 192.168.19.x I cannot get to the SBS server at \\192.168.1.3 or
> by \\server.

	You should have WINS on one network and you should point
your clients to that WINS server on all your clients (either by
DHCP or by hand).

> There is no windows browsing across the openvpn tunnel, everything is
> normal within the seperate domains.

	Ok, but you want to have it, right? Or did I get it wrong?

> I have tried resolving this on irc.feenode.net #samba
>
> here is the smb.conf for the server before it was cracked:  It did not
> work on this install.
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 192.168.1.112 (192.168.1.112)
> # Date: 2006/04/18 11:10:34
[...]
> here is a recent variation that was configured with swat> it did not work
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100)
> # Date: 2007/01/04 12:12:14
>
> [global]
>        workgroup = HSP
>        realm = SERVER.HSP.LOCAL
>        netbios aliases = ntserver
>        server string = Samba Server
>        security = DOMAIN
>        password server =
>        guest account = local_user
>        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>        max log size = 50000
>        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>        printcap name = /etc/printcap
>        dns proxy = No
>        wins server = 192.168.1.3

	Here, there is a wins server directive here, and you
should have a wins server running under that IP.

[...]

	Please, be aware that some VPN softwares needs a "hint"
to let certain type of traffic.

	Kind regards,

- --