[Samba] permission problem samba share 2nd suse server

Roland_Lepper at Liteonit.com Roland_Lepper at Liteonit.com
Mon Jan 8 09:20:10 GMT 2007

Sorry if my question was not compleet.

I have to use Samba because I have an AD on Windows 2003.

I'm creating a mailbackup server to store mailbackups. Because we have to keep them a long time
(sales, logistics, finance) I'm running out of diskspace on my Windows fileserver. We're talking
about 150GB of mailbackup. That why I've created a backupserver on Suse10 using Samba.

The goal is to create one single share which holds the mailbackups per user and per 'public' mailbox
like logistics_eu at example.com.
That share is accessible to everybody, but access to the mailboxes is restricted to the users
privileges. Like user steve don't have access to user george's mailbackup folder, but will have
access to his own mailbackup folder.
This is why I can't use nsf, i think.

So I've set the permissions on the mailbackup server. Please see mail below.
I've mounted the mailbackup directory on the backupserver.
But when I want to access the mounted mailbackup dir on the backup server as root, I don't have
access to it (Permission denied).
This sounds strange because I gave root permissions on the mailbackupserver to the mailbackup dir.

I can access the mailbackup dir if I mount it under Windows with the permissions I want.

Best Regards,
Roland de Lepper
------------------------------

                      Kaustubh
                      Chaudhari                To:       Roland_Lepper at Liteonit.com
                      <c_kitu at yahoo.co.        cc:       samba at lists.samba.org
                      in>                      Subject:  Re: [Samba] permission problem samba share 2nd suse server

                      08/01/2007 10:05
                      Please respond to
                      c_kitu

Hi Roland,

Tell me first both the system that you are using are on linux than why
you are using samba there, use nfs :D

further seems strange to me,

Mount the same share on local system and than see if you face the same
error.

KK

samba at lists.samba.org

>                       samba-bounces+roland_lepper=liteonit.com at list        cc:

>                       s.samba.org                                          Subject:  [Samba]
permission problem samba share 2nd suse server

>                       05/01/2007 09:51

> Dear all,
>
> I'm running a fileserver on Suse10. The purpose of this fileserver is to store only mailbackups.
> I also have backupserver running Suse10 with Dar&Sarab installed. backups will be done on HDD.
This
> runs perfect.
>
> because I need to mount the samba share of the fileserver to the backupserver i did:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=root,password=xxx,debug=4 //ipaddress/mailbackup
/mnt/servers/mailbackup

> This will mount the samba share on the backupserver.
>
> if I want to access the mounted share on the backupserver I can 'browse' to the first folder.
After