[Samba] Kerberos and PAM

M Azer azermina at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 18:16:10 GMT 2007

Thank you all for your replies. i have read the samba docs and followed it
to the letter  i have supplied my configurations please let me know if i am
missing anything -

*smb.conf*
[global]
workgroup = CAD
netbios name = itbox
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.0. 127.
winbind separator = +
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind cache time = 10
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash
security = ADS
realm = CAD.TESTDOMAIN
password server = vdc2.CAD.TESTDOMAIN
encrypt passwords = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
log level = 10
max log size= 50

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
browseable = No
directory mask = 0700
create mask = 0700

[data]
comment = Doc Samba Server
path = /data
read only = yes
guest only = yes

*nsswitch.conf*
passwd: files winbind
shadow: files winbind
group: files winbind

*krb5.conf*
[libdefaults]
default_realm = CAD.TESTDOMAIN

[realms]
CAD.TESTDOMAIN = {
kdc = vdc2.cad.testdomain
}

[domain_realms]
.kerberos.server = CAD.TESTDOMAIN

*pam.d/login*
#%PAM-1.0
auth required pam_securetty.so
auth sufficient pam_winbind.so
auth sufficient pam_unix.so use_first_pass
auth required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required pam_nologin.so
account sufficient pam_winbind.so
account required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session optional pam_console.so

*pam.d/samba*
#%PAM-1.0
auth required pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required pam_stack.so service=system-auth

[mina at itbox pam.d]$ wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

[mina at itbox pam.d]$ wbinfo -m
itbox
CAD

[mina at itbox pam.d]$ getent passwd admin_mina
admin_mina:*:10001:10002:admin mina:/home/CAD/admin_mina:/bin/bash

[root at itbox pam.d]# /usr/bin/net ads join -Uadministrator
administrator's password:
Using short domain name -- CAD
Joined 'ITBOX' to realm 'CAD.TESTDOMAIN'

wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g all work fine

ps aux | grep winbind
root 2965 0.0 0.3 10188 2848 ? Ss Jan05 0:00 winbindd
root 2966 0.0 0.4 10676 3292 ? S Jan05 0:00 winbindd

smbclient -L itbox
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

when i use a xp client machine to login i see the share, data and home
directory, i am able to open data however when i click on homedir windows
logon screen comes up requesting username and password - always says wrong
username and password please try again

any help will be appreciated.