[Samba] can samba figure out the "closest" domain controller in ADS mode?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Sat Jan 6 07:01:49 GMT 2007

I'v got working Samba ADS servers, but "net ads info" shows most of them
are associated with Win2K3 domain controllers that are in different
sites than the ones the Samba servers are in (we have a large WAN with
DCs in every site). I'm not configuring "password server" as I want
Samba to be more fault tolerant than pointing it at one DC - when there
are many to choose from. It looks like Samba is just doing a DNS lookup
on the realm name and binding to the top DC in the list?

Active Directory does allow you to define sites and Windows boxes figure
out where their closest DC is from that information - but it looks like
Samba can not? Is that correct, or is there something else I can do?
Resolving usernames/groups is pretty dire due to this - a Samba server
in Sweden is currently  using a DC in Beijing for example.

This is Samba-3.0.23d under CentOS4.4

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417