[Samba] Making Home Directory available for Windows Users

Alexander Schaber lists at alexanderschaber.de
Thu Jan 4 01:18:11 GMT 2007

Hello,

Situation:
We are in a school class every student logs on with the same account. Until
now we had Shares that were accessable for everybody and it was therefore
possible to look into and edit/delete other's files.

Plan:
Create a share that can be clicked on which then asks for User/Pass and
directly maps to the User's home Directory upon auth. User auth is done
through LDAP which works already.

Example:
Sharename: homedir
User clicks on e.g. \\fileserver\homedir and is asked for User/Pass, after
entering 'examplestudent1'/hispassword he sees /home/examplestudent1 .

Possible approach 1:
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        browseable = No
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes

The Problem with this one is, that the User would have to type
\\fileserver\examplestudent1 to get to his Homedir, which is _not_ wanted. Or
can this one be modified?

Possible approach 2:
[homedir]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = Yes
        path = /home/%u

This seems to work, but is it secure enough? What about 'valid users'? The
computers are shut down after each lesson, so there won't be the case that a
old session is still alive.

Requirements:
A share that always has the same name (e.g. homedir) but behind that there is
the user's homedir or a share that lists /home and asks for a User/Pass for
each dir you click on. I know this is party done by setting appropriate
rights on the home dirs (700).

I hope I made everything clear :) Thanks alot for your ideas!
--
Greetings
 Alexander Schaber