[Samba] problem with Samba, nsswitch.conf - wins

Antonín Večeřa antonin.vecera at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:31:37 GMT 2007

Hello all,

can you help me please - I have FreeBSD 6.2 + Samba installed. I try to
setup it so that I needn't to maintain /etc/hosts file and my FreeBSD
station will know all my local computers with MS-Windows by hostname.

I guess, I should add "wins" option to my /etc/nsswitch.conf file but it
doesn't work for me. :-(

My config files look like this:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
     hosts: files wins

/etc/rc.conf:
      nmbd_enable="YES"

/usr/local/etc/smb.conf:
     [global]
     workgroup = HOME
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     max log size = 50

But it is not working, when I try on pc1bsd "ping pc2win", the pc2win is
unknown and on console is:

     pc1bsd ping: NSSWITCH(nss_load_module): wins, Undefined symbol
"nss_module_register"

The library /usr/local/lib/nss_wins.so.1 really doesn't contain any text
"nss_module_register".
To the contrary from Windows station it works, when I "ping pc1bsd", I have
immediate reply.
It just shows, that nmbd works OK.

What is wrong? Or is it a bug?

Antonin V.