[Samba] Re: samba-3.0.23d, smbpasswd, and "NO PASSWORD" behaviour

Todd Pfaff pfaff at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 26 17:06:31 GMT 2007

I've had no responses to this question yet, and I'm still stuck with this
problem.  Can anybody help, please?

Is this a capability of samba that not many people take advantage of?

Or am I trying to do something that just isn't possible anymore?

Picking through a the level 10 debug log of smbd, I see this:

   [2007/02/26 11:49:36, 3] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_password_ok(51)
   Account for user 'testuser' has no password and null passwords are NOT
   allowed.
   [2007/02/26 11:49:36, 9]
   passdb/passdb.c:pdb_update_bad_password_count(1373)
   No bad password attempts.
   [2007/02/26 11:49:36, 5] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(273)
   check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [testuser] FAILED with
   error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Is it no longer possible for a user to change their own samba password
from null "NO PASSWORD" using the smbpasswd command?

--
Todd Pfaff <pfaff at mcmaster.ca>
Research & High-Performance Computing Support