[Samba] [Wins on NT server] Ping/ssh a smb client with Linux client

okparanoid at free.fr okparanoid at free.fr
Fri Feb 23 09:56:15 GMT 2007

Hello world !

I have a Debian client in a NT server domain and try to configure it.
Other computers in the NT domain can view me and ping me by my hostname.
Howewer i can't resolve the wins name of the other client on the domain.
Here is the global section of my smb.conf.

I would like to ping and ssh other computers by their hostname. Haved i forgot
something ?

thanks for your help...

P.S : Can you confirm that to do this i need install both samba server and
client that i made.

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###
# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = 751680B

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
;   wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
netbios name = OKPARANOID
security     = DOMAIN
wins server  = 165.xxx.xxx.xxx

# If we receive WINS server info from DHCP, override the options above.
   include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
# to IP addresses
   name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast