[Samba] Re: incompatibility between roaming profiles and winxp clients that didn't create them

David Hostetler hoss at negativesum.net
Thu Feb 22 19:56:49 GMT 2007

Eric,

thanks for the reply.  I've been experimenting with the profiles all day
and discovered a few things, but nothing that really solves the problem.

I did try the UHPC tool that you mentioned.  Interestingly I did in fact
have a whole slew of event logs of exactly the kind mentioned in the
UHPC readme, but installing the service doesn't seem to have had any
effect on the incompatible profile problem.  I also played around with
more of the profile-related options in gpedit.msc (like 'wait for remote
user profile', and 'always wait for the network at computer startup and
logon'.  These also don't seem to have had any effect (positive or
negative).

I discovered that it doesn't seem to be the profile files themselves
that are the problem.  I did the following (for a particular user):

1) change the profile type to 'local' for a particular user
2) manually replace the local profile folder (which gets created after
step 1) with the PDC's profile directory for the user
3) login as the user

The profile gets loaded without complaint, and everything seems to work
normally.  It seemed to work going in either direction as well - that
is, getting a new winxp client to load an old profile and an old winxp
client to load a new profile.

However, while I'm able to login on any client, and the profile seems to
get loaded (and windows claims the profile is of type 'roaming' and
status 'roaming'), changes to the user's environment/desktop don't seem
to transfer to/from the roaming profile, for either new or old clients.
  They both seem to be just happily loading the 'cached' local copy.  I
don't know if that's actually what's happening - especially since I
enabled stuff in gpedit.msc that should raise some kind of alarm if
windows isn't communicating successfully with the PDC (and defaulting
back to the cached local profile).

The step that seems to be reliably screwing up is when winxp tries to
create the local cached profile -- even if it's caching a roaming
profile that it specifically created (i.e. the client trying to cache it
locally is the same client that only moments before wrote the profile to
an empty profile folder on the PDC).

Sorry to be so wordy again, but I just want to leave a trail of what I'm
seeing, in case someone strolls by who has the elusive tiny piece of
knowledge that will solve this.

cheers,

David Hostetler