[Samba] Hide Unreadable and user ACLs

Edward L. Hannaford elhannaford at psfinc.com
Thu Feb 22 23:28:00 GMT 2007

I'm not sure if this is a bug or Working As Designed.  I'm hoping
someone can clarify for me.

Brief environment: SLES 9, SP3; samba-3.0.20b-3.4  We use Posix ACLs for
a more granular control of permissions on our shares.  We also use "hide
unreadable = yes" for one share (we'd prefer to use it for more but we
can't due to this issue).

With "hide unreadable = yes," if a _group_ ACL entry has the read
permission to a file or folder, and a user is a member of the group, the
file or folder is visible.  However, if a _user_ ACL entry has the read
permission to a file or folder, the file or folder is *still hidden* to
the user.

Is this a known issue, working as intended, or a bug?  If it's a bug,
how would I go about reporting it?

Edward L. Hannaford