[Samba] SWAT not logging in with root

Hillel Seltzer hseltzer at larich.com
Thu Feb 22 22:03:32 GMT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to set up a samba server for a few shared directories on AIX 5.3.
 It is running in a Windows 2000 domain.  It now seems to share properly, but
swat does not accept any login ID.  I set up swat with the /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf entries as per the manual.  When I use a browser to
"http://myserver:901" I get a login box for name and password, but it does not
accept the root password.

My system is configured to authenticate with ADS, but I am not using winbindd
as I still want to maintain permissions with the local Unix users and groups.

The swat log file shows the error:
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(810)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User root !

Here is the global section of my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
        server string = Samba Server
        security = ADS
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        hosts allow = 172.16.2., 172.16.100., 127.
        username map = /opt/pware/samba/3.0.24/lib/usermap.conf

Thanks.
---Hillel