[Samba] Tips/hints for Windows network management

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Wed Feb 21 14:57:27 GMT 2007

stephen mulcahy wrote:

> Unfortunately, I've also noticed that some of the settings I set in the
> NTConfig.POL using poledit.exe *are not applied* to the clients. A
> simple example would be the desktop Wallpaper. I'm trying to enforce a
> company wallpaper on all systems for consistency - its a good example
> cos it's immediately obvious if the setting has been applied. What I've
> seen when using NTConfig.POL generated from the standard templates (not
> Mike Petersen's which I must go back and further investigate) is that
> some settings are ignored, including Wallpaper. My suspicion is that
> this is due to the Registry key for Desktop Wallpaper changing between
> NT4 and XP SP2.

Further reading of this
http://www.pcc-services.com/articles/create_custom_spe_templates.html
confirms that the Microsoft templates may not contain all of the XP2
settings.

It also indicates that you can create your own custom templates for new
registry keys - you just need to identify the ones you want to change.
So it's fixable, it just needs some work :)

Anyone have any custom templates specific to XP2 prepared? I see Mike
has a bunch of XP2 settings in his custom.adm but more would be welcome.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
   GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      mailto:smulcahy at aplpi.com
  mobile:+353.87.2930252  office:+353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com