[Samba] Vista (pre-installed OEM editions) creating new files or folders on network shares

Graeme Perkes agentmaximus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:36:46 GMT 2007

Hi Jeremy,

I compiled up that patchset but then came to the conclusion that the
cause of the problem was the installation of Vista itself. Normally I
use a Linux box as a WINS server but to isolate the problem I made an XP
box on the network the WINS server.  To make sure samba wasn't the
playing a role I then tried access to shares on remote XP and remote
Vista drives from the problematic Vista clients.

Since then I have reported the problem to the OEM and the retailer. The
OEM was originally not very helpful. The retailer has reproduced that
problem with the particular brand of hardware from their shelf stock.
The OEM is paying much more attention to the problem. I'm not sure if a
rather large software company is also involved.

A number of big hardware vendors may have this problem in their OEM
Vista installations supplied on new PCs / laptops. I don't know if all
hardware vendors are affected.  Read the forum link posted below for
hints at the hardware vendors affected ...

Regards,

Graeme