[Samba] Synchronize changing of the WinXP user password to the smbpasswd (without PDC)

ron_smb ron_smb at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 02:19:31 GMT 2007

Is there a way to synchronize changing a user's WindowsXP password with
the smbpasswd?

I configured a basic Samba server (3.0.10) with password encryption
enabled.  When I
created the smbpasswd file, I used the same username:passwords as the
WindowsXP user
accounts.  After the initial connection, users can login and map the
network shares seamlessly.

Users are required to change they WindowsXP password every 90 days.  It
is possible to
change the smbpasswd from WinXP using the "Logon Information Properties"
GUI.  But
there are alot of steps and some of the pre-filled fields are wrong.

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | <username> | Related Tasks
"Manage My Network Passwords"
Select the server in the Stored User Names and Password windows and
click Properties.
In the Logon Information Properties window change the default UserName
field* to smbpasswd.
Click Change...  Enter the old password and the new password.

* The UserName field is pre-filled with either "MACHINE\USER" or
"USER at SERVER", strip-off
the MACHINE or SERVER, leaving just the USER name.

I am looking for DOS command similar to the NET USER command
   c:\> NET USER username {password|*}                    changes the
Windows account
   c:\> NET USER username {password|*}  /DOMAIN   does not work, since
there's no PDC

I would like to write a batch file to keep the smbpasswd and Windows in
synch.

TIA