[Samba] The Samba 3 Network speed too slow

John H Terpstra jht at primastasys.com
Sat Feb 10 13:41:14 GMT 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 05:14, Srini wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel <felipe at paranacidade.org.br> wrote:
> >
> > ... snipped ...
> >
> > But when I transfer Windows to Samba
> >
> > > The speed only 150Mbits.
> > > And sometime will low spped to 70~80Mbits.
> > > Is it Samba limited?
> >
> >         It shouldn't.
> >
> > > Or how to fix it?
> >
> >         You probably would need to check 'socket options'.
>
> We have a similar problem sometimes. What should be the ideal value for
> 'socket options'  in Samba v3.x?
>
> Thanks
>
> Srini

Remove it completely. Sockey options should not be needed with Linux kernels
2.4 or layter.  Check out your networking hardware - NICs, HUBs, Switches and
cables - the quality of these have a significant impact on network
performance. Also, use 'ethtool' to verify that your NICs are operating at
the maximum speed.

- John T.