[Samba] Minimum requirements for pam.d/samba file for AD member

Mark mrote at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 17 16:54:53 GMT 2007

We've been using samba on a small scale in my group using tdbsam but I
got the go ahead to setup a Samba member server as part of our AD domain
for our Desktop Support group for desktop image archiving and software
staging.

Running Fedora Core 6 with the latest Samba rpms from samba.org I have
successfully joined the AD domain in our test environment.   kinit works
for all domain users that I've setup. wbinfo -g and -u returns the
groups and users from the domain. getent group/passwd also returns the
groups and users.

After researching various article and howtos, I've noticed that there
are many different things that people have put in the /etc/pam.d/samba
file. Before I get into this much more, I was wondering what the minumum
requirements or best practices are for the contents of this file. At
this time, I don't plan on using AD authentication for anything other
than file share access.

Basically, I'd like to have local group(s) on the Samba server and be
able to add domain groups from Windows 2K3 AD to this local group to
provide access to shares.

Mark