[Samba] Windows Vista roaming profiles "access denied" forced local profile (samba PDC), but Windows XP OK

Elliot Mackenzie macka at adixein.com
Sat Feb 17 11:13:08 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm having an "Access denied" issue using roaming profiles for Windows
Vista Ultimate RTM (patched to current).  The actual login is
successful, the full name is set properly and the password is handled
correctly, however only a temporary profile is created.  The interesting
thing is that all else being the same, I do not encounter the same issue
for Windows XP roaming profiles against the same server.

I should point out that this is using Windows Vista from a fresh
install.  I can also confirm that I am able to rename directories and so
forth on samba shares with no problems.

So, in summary, I have a Samba 3.0.24 standalone server running as a PDC
on a Linux host.  Roaming profiles are working for Windows XP clients,
and have been for some time.  For Windows Vista clients, however, I get
an "Access is denied" error during login, which causes the Vista host to
set up a temporary profile.  Once logged in, the user has full access to
their profile directory on the server (write/read etc).

I cannot see anything even in a level 10 log which would seem to
indicate why the profile creation is failing, so I would appreciate a
second opinion.  I'll attach the log in a second email.

Kind regards,
Elliot.

This is the error I receive on the Windows host:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service