[Samba] migration to new server

Mark Rutherford mark at maunzelectronics.com
Sat Feb 17 05:35:28 GMT 2007

I need to migrate some 40 workstations over to a new server...
I have googled this for the best part of an hour, and others have had
this issue and nobody seemed to have an answer.

The old server uses smbpasswd, the new server uses LDAP.
I am trying to write a script that reads the file and sets up these
accounts on the LDAP server, but
I cannot seem to get the machine accounts to work.

I cannot rejoin 40 workstations, this would be a nightmare.
The only way I can get a workstation to like the new server is to rejoin
it, despite the fact that
the new server has the same name, SID, etc.
Specifically, I get errors like:

  _net_auth2: creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from
client HENRY2006 machine account HENRY2006$

What so I need to enter into LDAP to get it to like the workstations?

I have entries such as:
test$:1043:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:D461D2204D7CECDED9847D069C1E822D:[W
]:LCT-45B7DA08:

I am using the 4th field here as the sambaNTPassword in LDAP.

Is this correct?
What do I need to do to migrate these machine accounts?