[Samba] Samba 3.0.24 + OpenLDAP

dev at edoceo.com dev at edoceo.com
Fri Feb 16 04:35:23 GMT 2007

I'm using the above version of Samba with OpenLDAP.  I also use the
smbldap-useradd script to add users, like below.  I'm finding that I also
have to have an account in /etc/passwd for the user to get in otherwise I
get the message below.  I thought that the ldapsam:ldap://localhost/ would
not require the /etc/passwd entry.  What did I miss?

# Adding a User (doesn't work)
smbldap-useradd -a -s /bin/false -c'Test User' -A 1 -N'Test User' test_user

# The errors I see
 [2007/02/15 20:00:39, 0] passdb/pdb_get_set.c:pdb_get_group_sid(164)
   pdb_get_group_sid: Failed to find Unix account for busby
 [2007/02/15 20:00:39, 0] auth/auth_sam.c:check_sam_security(352)
   check_sam_security: make_server_info_sam() failed with
'NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER'

# What's odd is that if I add a user to /etc/passwd with useradd then use
the smbldap-useradd script to add a user to LDAP it works fine.  I've
tried to tweak PAM and NSS to read ldap and it looks to work via `getent
passwd` test.  I can also see my users in ldap when I do ldapsearch for
the same thing Samba does.  Any ideas?

/djb