[Samba] Should I upgrade Samba?

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Feb 15 21:30:15 GMT 2007

Boaz Bezborodko wrote:
> Currently I have a new server being set up with CentOS 4.4 (RedHat
> Enterprise Linux 4.4) and the Samba binaries that come with it which are
> version 3.010149.
>
> I am something of a Linux newbie so I wanted to know if I should upgrade
> to 3.0.24 and, if I should, why doesn't CentOS upgrade their binaries to
> the latest Samba?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Boaz

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The version that CentOS provides works
and is configured for their system. Moreover, you can get security
patches for it.

If you have a compelling need for a feature that isn't present in your
current version, you may want to consider upgrading. Otherwise, stick
with the version distributed with CentOS.