[Samba] Re: Server string cached somewhere ?

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Tue Feb 13 17:29:01 GMT 2007

It's stored in the registry on XP machines. (98/ME/2000, too, I would
guess).

Mine was in my profile:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx\Software\Microsof
t\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions

It didn't appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, though.
Just do a registry search for part of the current description, and delete
the value when you find it. Then un-map, and remap the share. It should show
the value you have setup in Samba. If you change it in Samba, though, you'll
have to do it again.
Hope this helps,
Dennis