[Samba] Securing home shares

Neil Jolly neil at jollycom.ca
Mon Feb 12 19:27:08 GMT 2007

On 12-Feb-07, at 11:57 AM, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Neil Jolly wrote:
>
>> I'm setting up a server running samba 3.024, and am trying to
>> secure the home directories. I thought that adding valid users = %
>> U to the home share in the smb.conf would restrict access to the
>> current user only, but this appears to not be the case. Anyone got
>> a better method they can recommend for this?
>
> Doesn't using the special "[homes]" share already do this?  Or am I
> missing something?
>
> 	Andy

It doesn't seem to be the case with my setup. My homes is as follows:

[homes]
	browseable = No
	read only = No
	guest ok = No
	path = /home/%U
	users = %S
	comments = Home Directories

I just added the users = %S after reading securing samba in the how-
to collection, but it's had no effect either.

Thanks,
Neil Jolly
Jolly Computations
#12 800 Bowcroft Place