[Samba] Autogenerating of operatingSystem and operatingSystemVersion attributes in AD

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Feb 12 15:07:49 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:03 -0500, Jim McDonough wrote:
> On 2/12/07, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> I really have fought this type of behavior because it
>         is inconsistent.  I'd rather find another way to set the
>         OS attributes.
> At some point in the past (probably 3 years now) I found that even
> when we set these attributes, at some point, AD would decide to
> overwrite them.  I never got down to the root cause of the behavior,
> but it seemed at the time like anything it didnt' recognize would
> eventually be reset.

I am sure this is not the case, I've seen *different* clients do that
and the arbitrary change sticks.
I guess you have to do these mods after the account is settled down,
maybe you can even try to update these fields using the machine account
password? Never checked the permission on those attributes, but it might
be interesting.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce