[Samba] PDC appears to be BDC in server manager

Martin Brook lists.martin at brookfamily.org.uk
Sun Feb 11 13:38:36 GMT 2007

Thanks for replying. My smb.conf is below.

But I did get a bit further with this last night - I think the problem
may have been caused by me changing the netbios name of the server.

It was originally called BIGSERVER. The server I used as a temporary
BDC was called LITTLESERVER. When I copied everything back over to
BIGSERVER, I changed the 'netbios name' in the smb.conf from
LITTLESERVER to BIGSERVER.

Suspecting that this might have been connected to the problem, I
changed it back. This made no difference until I found a suggestion to
delete wins.dat and browse.dat. Once I'd done this (with samba
stopped), I found that user manager and server manager are now loading
up without errors, and LITTLESERVER appears correctly as "Windows NT
Primary".

But I still have some problems:

1. I'm still getting 'access denied' when I try to add/remove machines
in Server Manager, or modify user accounts in User Manager.

2. I somehow need to rename the server back to BIGSERVER, but I'm not
sure how to do this without breaking things again.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give! I'm crossing my fingers
that I can get this fixed today... users will be back tomorrow!

Here's my smb.conf with all of the comments taken out..

[global]

   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   netbios name = LITTLESERVER

   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

   wins support = yes

   dns proxy = no

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000

   syslog = 0

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   passdb expand explicit = no
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   invalid users = root
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully*
.
   domain logons = yes
   logon path =
   logon home =
   logon drive = P:
   logon script = logon.cmd
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
   delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
   add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
   delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
   add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null '%u'
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   printer admin = @lpadmin
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   domain master = Yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   valid users = %S
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no
   browseable = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
   write list = root, "@Domain Admins"

[server]
   comment = Documentation files and programs
   writable = no
   path = /data01/server
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700